Why Did Jesus Clear The Temple?
Good! Now let’s dive in! These scriptures are fascinating because we actually see Jesus display righteous anger. The question is why? Why did He get so angry? Was it because there was money in the temple? If that’s the case then we need to turn over the offering plates every Sunday! But we know that God commands us to bring our tithes and offerings to the church. Was it because He was having a bad morning and just wanted to vent? Of course we know Jesus didn’t just blow up into some emotional tirade because He was running late to the temple and didn’t have time to get His Caramel Macchiato! So why was He angry?
I believe the reason Jesus was angry is found in verse 17. It says, “My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations”. This is quoted from Isaiah 56:7 in which Isaiah is declaring that the Lord will bring ALL people who “love the name of the Lord” into His house!
This is where the problem lies. The selling of animals for sacrificial worship was taking place in what was called the “Court of the Gentiles”. This is the only place that gentile (Those who were not Jews and were looked down upon by Jews as second-rate people…that would include most, if not all, of you reading this post!) worshippers could go into the temple to worship. The issue at hand is that the religious people were inhibiting those who wanted to draw close to God from being able to worship Him!
Hmmm…Sound familiar? Makes me think about the church today! Here’s my thought…or I guess a question…Is the church today helping or hampering those outside the “religious circle” come to know God? Do we look down our noses at those who are different or do we welcome them? Do we turn our back to homosexuals, adulterers, prostitutes, drug addicts, alcoholics, and fornicators or do we believe that Jesus has the power to heal all? (EVEN GOSSIPS AND CHURCH PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN IN CHURCH FOR 40+ YEARS AND STILL HAVEN’T GROWN UP!) I’m siding with the power of Jesus!! He changed my heart and healed my life and I am the chief of sinners…Seriously, I stole that title from Paul! (Don’t believe me? Wait til you hear the message this Sunday and you will!) If He did that for me He CAN do that for anyone!
Here are a few things we MUST remember as the church:
- We are not called to own the church…we are the church and we are owned by Christ!
- We are not called to hoard the gospel…we are called to share it with others.
- We are not an organization made up of perfect people…we are a living, breathing community made up of JACKED-UP people who are on a journey together!
- We are not called to spiritual superiority…we are called to humble submission to Jesus and others.
- We are not called to profane the name of the Lord with our half-hearted lifestyle…we are called to be a witness to His majesty as the glory of the bridegroom is reflected off of His bride, the Church!
See you Sunday! Can’t wait! Praying like CRAZY that God moves in a big way and changes hearts that will change hearts!