What Amazes Me The Most!
Just want to share a few thoughts with you that are really on my heart today. To start, I am truly thankful for the opportunity that we have each week to worship together! I DO NOT take it for granted that we get to celebrate Jesus each and every week! When I step back and look at my life there are two realizations that constantly bring me back to a place of praise, thanksgiving, and celebration:
- Where God has brought me from…When I think about my life and where I was when God awakened me to His love and grace it is overwhelming! I can honestly say that I didn’t start living until He breathed life into me spiritually! Everyday I pray that God will bring more and more people to himself and awaken their spirits from slumber.
- How far I have to go…When I look at the holiness of God and I think about His perfection it shines light onto my imperfection and I realize I am on a never ending journey to become like Jesus! Rather than causing despair because I have so far to go it causes thanksgiving because I know that God began a work in me and will be faithful to complete it! The fact that He chose me…ME…to be used to bring Him glory is absolutely CRAZY because I see my flaws! But God has always delighted in using those who seem the least likely to bring glory to His name!
I am also constantly amazed at the fact that, even flawed as I am, I do not have to walk in condemnation! I want to share the points from Sunday’s message in hopes that a reminder will help us walk in the truth (the truth sets you free) that “It is finished” and we have been set free!
- There is a moment of sin…Sin has effected us all and has rendered us all spiritually dead from birth (Psalm 51:5). We are indeed helpless in our sin and death! Remember…a dead person can do nothing for themselves! Because of sin WE DESERVE CONDEMNATION! We will never escape condemnation until we realize it IS what we deserve!
- There is the moment of the cross…As we look at the cross we see God’s judgment of sin! Remember…don’t let God’s kindness and patience become and anesthetic for your conscience! God was not slow in punishing sin! The cross was planned before He laid the foundation of the earth! He is not slow in punishing sin…He is merciful to give room for repentance! On the cross we also see what WE DESERVE! We deserve God’s wrath being poured out on us! But instead Jesus took it upon Himself! THAT’S AMAZING! That alone should bring us to our knees!
- There is a moment of awakening…Like Zacchaeus (Luke 19:1-10) there is a moment in which God reveals himself to us. Zacchaeus heard Jesus speak to him, he was awakened to the reality of who Jesus is, and faith and repentance followed! He came to faith, believing that Jesus is who He says He is and trusting Him for salvation, and He came to repentance, a change of mind and heart that happens when God’s Spirit reveals that Jesus is the way and His ways are right (NOTE: Repentance is not an apology! It is when you leave your ways behind to follow God ways!)
- There is a moment of freedom…When we come to Christ we are set free from sin and death and are freed to live the life that God desires so that He is glorified! This moment of awakening turns into a lifetime of freedom when we rest in the grace of Christ and settle our hearts on the truth that Jesus took the condemnation that we deserve! In fact, condemnation exist because we won’t rest in the fact that Jesus took what we deserve on the cross! Is it fair? NOT AT ALL! BUT IT IS THE TRUTH! (Next time you want to complain about something not being fair you might want to think about that!!) When Jesus said it is finished He meant it! It WAS NOT a cry of defeat, fatigue, or despair. It was a cry of TRIUMPH!
My prayer for each of you is that you would walk in the truth that it is finished because of what Christ did on the cross and that God would take your life and use it for the praise of His glory!
I’m still Amazed!!