The Importance of Vision
This is a little longer than usual but VERY IMPORTANT! Today I want to talk about a “buzz” word that I hear ALL the time around organizations such as businesses and churches…the word VISION! Vision is essential to any organization and essential to your individual life as well. We often hear people say, “I have a vision to [Fill in the blank]”. In this they should mean that they have something in mind that they want to accomplish, have an idea of what the finished product will look like, and have an understanding of the steps they are to take in order to get to the finished product.
WE ALL NEED A GOD GIVEN VISION…PERIOD…FOR OUR LIFE, BUSINESS, CHURCH, FAMILIES, ETC!
Proverbs 29:18 speaks to the importance of vision. It teaches that when there is no vision people go there own way and lose focus. This ALWAYS leads to destruction! Just read Exodus 32 and you’ll see what happens when the vision is lost! Moses, the vision carrier and vision caster, leaves to go meet with God and by the time he gets back the Israelites have built a farm animal (calf) out of gold and are calling it their god! WOW! Without a vision of where we are supposed to be heading and how we are supposed to get there we will fall for ANYTHING!!
Notice up above I said what we “should mean” when we speak of vision. Vision should denote that we have “something in mind that we want to accomplish, have an idea of what the finished product will look like, and have an understanding of the steps we are to take in order to get to the finished product.” Unfortunately “vision” often only consists of something someone would like to accomplish…THE END.
For a vision to come to fruition there must be more than a desire to see something happen! There are at least 4 parts of a successful vision.
- The discernment of what you are “called” to do.
- Having a picture of what the finished product is to look like.
- ACTUALLY implementing steps to move toward the vision.
- Persevering until the vision is accomplished.
Let’s look at these a little closer…
- The discernment of what you are “called to do. Simply put…what is it that is burning in your heart for your life? Your business? Your church? What do you feel MANDATED to accomplish before your 70-80 years of existence on this spinning ball called earth are over? A vision is mandated when the only options you have are to do what you feel called to do or be disobedient to God. One way to recognize a mandated vision is to realize you will always ask, “What if?” until you take a step of faith and try! My personal opinion…I prefer to try and fail rather than not try at all!
- Having a picture of what the finished product is to look like. Without a clear finished product in mind you have nothing to guide your decision making. If you want a business that, in the end, is known for integrity you can’t start cheating on your taxes! If you want a marriage that reflects the image of Christ and His Bride, the church, you can’t place work and hobbies ahead of your wife! If you want your children to grow up living for Jesus your decisions will have to be guided toward that end. We can’t live like Hell and expect our kids to grow up living for Heaven! The desired finished product must shape our core values, which in turn guide our life. This is why the Bible says those with no vision cast of restraint! There is no finished product, or goal in mind, to direct their decision making process.
- ACTUALLY IMPLEMENT STEPS TO MOVE TOWARD THE VISION! I put this one in all caps because this is where I have seen the most breakdowns in vision! There are many people who are labeled “visionaries” who are in reality good dreamers. A dream moves to a vision when it is actually implemented! Knowing what you are called to do and having a picture of the finished product MUST be followed with practical steps to fulfill the calling and create the finished product. Just as nothing gets built by working hard without having a direction or vision (That’s called treading water! It wears you out but gets you nowhere!), it is equally true that nothing gets built by casting vision alone! If anything is to be accomplished vision must be supported by implementation.
- Persevere until the end! Nothing worth doing is easy and if what you feel called to do can be accomplished in your strength it is probably not God’s vision! Therefore, perseverance is EXTREMELY important! I would like to encourage you that YOU CAN do what God has called you to do! Stay on the tracks He’s called you to and don’t let anyone move you off of them! You can run faster and easier on the tracks that others have run before you but you end up in THEIR destination…NOT YOURS! God needs people who are willing to step up and declare that, with His help, they are going to stay on the tracks He’s called them to run and is laying out for them! He who has called you is faithful!
RUN TOWARD THE VISION GOD HAS GIVEN YOU! If you don’t have a God given vision for your life it’s not because He doesn’t have one for you! ASK HIM! Go to His Word and let Him begin to shape a dream in your heart and then watch Him birth it into a vision for your life!
See you Sunday! This week we are looking at Fear and Insecurity!! CANNOT WAIT!!! WE ACTUALLY GET DO THIS EVERY SUNDAY! AMAZING!!