Six Things I Learned Through A Challenging Week!
Many of you know that on Tuesday of this week my dad had to have his left leg amputated. He’s battled to try and keep it for 5-years but after 15 or so surgeries we finally ran out of options as infections made it impossible for him to continue with it. To say the least this week has been quite challenging for my dad as well as my family. I would ask you to pray with us that his worst days are behind him and he can move forward with renewed hope and a new life!
The purpose of this post today is to share with you six things that I either learned or was reminded of during this very challenging week. I hope they will encourage you as you face challenges in your own life!
- The goodness of God is NOT dependent upon our circumstances! Even through a challenging and difficult time God was there! His goodness and grace overshadowed us and gave peace to us in the midst of difficult circumstances! NEVER let your circumstances determine the character of God or His love for you! His WORD, not the WORLD, defines who He and His love for us!
- In the midst of difficult times we still have victory! Tuesday afternoon was the most difficult time this week. Immediately after the surgery my dad was in the most pain I have ever seen. The only thing I know to compare it to is a scene from an army movie when someone gets their leg blown off and they are writhing in pain. It was hard to watch him that way knowing there was little I could do but through the process I was strengthened by the FACT that Jesus has GIVEN us victory in the midst of challenges! We are fighting from victory not for victory! (I ripped that off another preacher…I’m sure he won’t mind!! J ) Today I pray that this perspective would change in your life in regards to whatever struggle you are facing! LET ME SAY IT AGAIN…YOU HAVE VICTORY! FIGHT AS THOUGH YOU HAVE ALREADY WON…BECAUSE IF YOU ARE IN CHRIST YOU HAVE!
- Prayer is powerful! I am absolutely convinced that prayer is what got us through Tuesday afternoon. Kim Owens, who if you don’t know her is amazing, rallied our staff and prayer warriors (as she does whenever we find out about a prayer request…not just for the pastor! I’m a part of the Body just like you!) and they hit the warpath! I can honestly say I felt it…and my dad did too. Kim text me a couple of hours into this period of severe pain and said, “I believe God will soak him with waves of peace, healing, refreshment and spiritual strength.” Literally seconds before that text my dad had begun to drift in and out of sleep! Prayer is POWERFUL!!
- When the church functions as the church there is nothing more beautiful! I can’t describe how amazing God’s church is when it functions as the Body of Christ…Truly being His hands and feet! When people love people the way Jesus loves people there is nothing more beautiful! Church…THIS IS WHO WE ARE CALLED TO BE! LET US LOVE UNTIL IT HURTS! I PRAY THAT GOD’S LOVE WOULD SO INVADE OUR HEARTS THAT WE, THE CHURCH, WOULD STORM THE GATES OF HELL, THE DARKEST PLACES, WITH THE LIGHT OF GOD’S LOVE!
- When the church functions as the church there is nothing more powerful! As we were experiencing our own challenges a dear friend of mine, and a staff member, Don Baldwin was experiencing his own, yet very different set of challenges! Don’s blazer “died” and the cost of repairs was more than he could afford and more than the car was worth! So Don did what He always does and prayed that God would provide a vehicle…one he could afford! On Thursday we received a call from a couple of our church members who were on the way to our offices with a car for Don that fit nicely into his budget! FREE FITS NICELY INTO EVERYONE’S BUDGET!! They gave him the car and we were able to witness a miracle as the church was being the church! There is TRULY nothing more beautiful OR more POWERFUL than the Spirit of God working through the church!
- God still does miracles…He’s waiting on US! Not the other way around! Through the prayers for my dad and the generosity of two believers who have had their hearts changed by the reality of Jesus, I was able to witness miracles this week! What we have to realize is that while God is the source of the miracle, you and I are His conduit! I would ask you today to look at those around you today and ask the question, “Does God want me to be their miracle today?” Faith precedes a miracle of God! Take a step of faith and let God use you as His conduit to touch someone’s life!
Love Y’all! CAN’T WAIT UNITL SUNDAY!
PRAY…INVEST…INVITE…ENCOURAGE!! IN OTHER WORDS…GET SOMEONE TO CHURCH WITH YOU THIS WEEK!
SEE YOU THEN!!!