How Do I Overcome Sin In My Life?
Today I want to share some ways that we overcome sin in our lives. This is a follow up to the blog from yesterday 10 Things A Christian Cannot Do! Before we start I do want to remind you that we are all imperfect people who are on a journey together. None of us are righteous on our own! Our right standing with God is a gift from God through Jesus Christ who had no sin yet became sin for us so that we might become the righteousness of God! Yet God does promise us, through the process of sanctification, that He will continually transform us into His image. This doesn’t come from our pursuit of religious rules and laws but through our relationship with Christ and the power of His Spirit! With that in mind here are some ways that we build our relationship with Him and see His power work in our lives!
- Have a relationship with Jesus and don’t get sucked into the trap of religion! Religion, following rules and laws, CANNOT overcome the sin in your life! If it could Jesus died for nothing. Until we come into a relationship with Jesus through faith in His death and resurrection we are powerless against sin! You may, through will power, clean up your life but it will be void of fulfillment! (John 8:34 // Romans 6:1-14)
- Pursue Jesus! No relationship works if those involved in the relationship are not pursuing each other. This is true in our relationship with Jesus as well. This is what I know, if you are a Christian it is because Jesus has pursued you! Contrary to a lot of Christian talk you did not find Him! He found you! God has never been lost! We are the ones who were lost! He is pursuing you! Are you pursuing Him! It is impossible to pursue sin and Jesus at the same time! You must turn your back on one to pursue the other! (James 4:4-8)
- Renew your mind! This is where the power of God’s Word is active in our lives. We go to scripture not so that we can put a check on our spiritual to-do list but so that we can hear the heart of God, build our faith, and allow His Word to wash our minds and purify our hearts. God’s Word is living and active and has the power to renew our minds so that we begin to think like Christ! (Romans 12:2 // Hebrews 4:12)
- Worship! You cannot worship God and sin at the same time! For example, I guarantee you a Christian cannot sing Amazing Grace in an attitude of worship and watch porn at the same time! Worship is not just music but it is what we do with our whole life! We can’t “offer our bodies as living sacrifices” as an “act of worship” and at the same time use them to profane the name of God! (Romans 12:1 // Hebrews 13:15-16)
- Fellowship with other believers! We CANNOT do life alone! Biblical fellowship is fellowship that is around the gospel. All people share one thing in common. We have all rebelled against God! Christians share two things in common. We have all rebelled against God and we have all been reconciled to God through Christ! It is this second commonality that we rally around together! (Hebrews 10:24-25 // Acts 2:42-47)
- Serve others! Thinking of yourself less is a guaranteed way of escaping the selfish desires of your heart! To see the power of this just look at the example of Jesus! Jesus, God in the flesh, emptied himself of His rights and became a servant! If He lived that way, why don’t we? Answer…10/10 people are selfish! That includes you and that includes me! If you want to overcome selfishness…HUMBLE YOURSELF AND SERVE! (Philippians 2:1-11 // John 13:1-17)
- Don’t let your past dictate your future! You and I CANNOT run the race God has for us until we let go of dead things! For far too many of us our past hinders us from living our the future God intends! When we do grasp the fact that God forgives us many still struggle with forgiving themselves. Here’s a logical question…If the Great God of the Universe who is perfect in every way says that Jesus’ blood is enough to cover your sin should that be good enough for you too? My prayer is that the hurts and sin of your past will not be allowed to dictate your future because it is dead having been nailed to the cross of Christ! You are not a victim for you have victory in Jesus Christ! (Romans 8:1-2 // Philippians 3:1-14)
Love you guys! Heart and Soul!