How awesome was God on Sunday? He is FAITHFUL! It was so amazing to see so many people worshiping together! Standing in the front I can hear all of you singing and it is absolutely incredible to join with you in worshiping Jesus! I CAN’T WAIT FOR THIS SUNDAY!
It’s really funny that the first week students were back we talked about the dangers of money and materialism! I kept thinking, “Shouldn’t we be talking about something else?” But I know that was the message God wanted for us on August 28, 2011! Money and materialism are not on the top ten list of favorite things to discuss in church but they are among the most important. Jesus talked about money more than anything else because He knew the power it would have over our lives and that it would be the #1 competitor for our hearts! It’s not the politically correct thing to talk about but who really cares about being politically correct? Jesus didn’t! We shouldn’t either! My heart is that we would allow nothing to come between us and the One who paid it all! Remember…He is the spotless lamb that was slain so that the unclean (That’s You And Me!) could be redeemed! Simply put…He died so we wouldn’t have too! He’s worthy of all that we have! Here are the main points of the message (If you missed it here’s the link to the message. It will be up this afternoon).
Matthew 19:16-30 – The Rich Young Man (Ruler) – Our common misconceptions about God and money:
- The Rich Young Man sought God through a task list…Jesus sought a heart change! Jesus doesn’t need our money but He does want our heart! Our tithes and offerings are one-way God keep our heart-strings from becoming attached to our wallet!
- The Rich Young Man sought life through many things…Jesus offered life through the One thing that can truly give life…HIMSELF! I’ve said it many times before but I will say it again…You can have everything minus one thing and have nothing or you can have nothing plus one thing and have everything. Pursue Jesus…the giver of LIFE!
- The Rich Young Man sought identity through wealth not worship…Jesus wanted to give him His identity! We often look to other things for our identity. This young man wanted an identity…He wanted to be perfect…He didn’t realize Perfection was standing in front of Him and offering the gift of His perfection!
- The Rich Young Man sought temporary riches…Jesus offered eternal treasures! If we look at our lives what are we storing up for ourselves? Do we have a temporary view of life or do we want to store up treasure that will last? Treasure that last comes when we invest in God’s Church, evangelism, and taking care of the poor. Having the most stuff doesn’t mean you are the happiest…it just means you’ll have the most people at the reading of your will! YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU!
- The Rich Young Man saw giving everything to Jesus as an obligation not an act of worship! Once we have met Jesus we no longer give out of obligation or guilt! We give because of gratitude and to always show God that we trust Him for our provision. God has always asked us to bring the first to Him (Whether the firstborn (Exodus 13:1,2 and 11-13 or the first fruits Exodus 23:19)
My prayer is that we would be a church that surrenders EVERYTHING to Jesus! That through our finances, talents, and time we would make sure the Bride of Christ…His Church is healthy!
Love y’all! So thankful to serve such an amazing church!