8 Things to Remember When Sharing Your Faith
Today I want to share 8 things that are HUGE when it comes to sharing our faith with others. These are non-negotiable!! They all come from Acts 8:26-40…
- Ask God to lead you to opportunity! Sounds simple enough…why don’t we do it? If you ask God to put people in your path who need to hear about Jesus He WILL DO IT! Philip was obviously seeking opportunity to share Christ with someone. SO SHOULD WE!
- Listen to God! (v.26) Philip was in-tune with God and listening for His leading. I’m amazed at how many times people tell me they’ve been “asking for direction” (which often means they really know what to do already but are hoping God changes His mind!!) and when I ask them, “have you listened?” I get the deer in the headlights look! We’ve got to slow down enough to listen to God and be in tune with His leading. WHEN YOU ASK GOD A QUESTION LISTEN FOR THE ANSWER!
- DO WHAT HE SAYS! Verse 26 tells us that God spoke to Philip and said “GO”! Verse 27 begins with, “So he started out…” (Also look at verse 30 he “ran” to the chariot!) For many of us we already know who we are supposed to be sharing with it’s just a matter of obedience. For too many opportunity has come and opportunity has gone. The question is “When will we do what God has already said to do?” STEP UP TO THE PLATE!! YOU CAN DO WHAT GOD HAS TOLD YOU TO DO!!
- Listen to the person God put in front of you! Verse 30 says Philip “heard the man” meaning that he was actually listening to what the eunuch was saying! Listen to the person in front of you so you can engage them in a context that shows them the gospel is actually relevant to their life! Remember they are not “a project” for you just to ramble through some theological discourse with! They are a person that God loves (if He does we should too!) and Jesus died for!
- Actually share the gospel! (v.34, 35) St. Francis of Assisi is quoted all the time for saying “Preach the gospel always, if necessary use words.” Sounds great! The only problem is that the Bible says faith comes from “hearing the message” (Romans 10:17) (I’ll cover works or deeds in a moment so all of you St. Francis fans just calm down!) If we don’t tell them “the reason for the hope that [we] have” (1 Peter 3:15) they may think we’re great people but thinking we’re something great doesn’t bring them into a relationship with God! Trusting in Jesus as your Lord and Savior does! How will they know if we don’t tell them?
- Invest in the person! (v. 35) – From his own preparation Philip was able to invest into this mans life! Philip was prepared to share the gospel but we also know that the way Philip lived his life backed up what he confessed with His mouth! Key word…BALANCE!! (Acts 6:1-7 – He served widows by waiting tables…Acts 8:4-8 – He ministered to the sick and those in spiritual bondage) This is where he showed people his faith by what he did! Don’t confess one thing and do another!!
- Journey with them! (v. 36) Philip actually spent time with this guy! He didn’t just run up to the chariot, hand him a “gospel tract” and run off! He stayed with Him on the journey until the eunuch was ready! God was patient with you, be patient with others!
- Invite them to a relationship with Christ! (v. 36-40) – This is when the deal got done and the eunuch came to faith and a relationship with the God of the universe! There is no better feeling than this! When someone you’ve spent time with, invested in, and journeyed with comes to know Christ, whether responding to a message at church or over a cup of coffee, you are literally watching someone go from death to life! HOW COULD WE RESIST THIS OPPORTUNITY!!
A little long…but SO IMPORTANT!! KEEP PRAYING…KEEP INVESTING…KEEP ENCOURAGING…KEEP INVITING!!