8 Reasons We Should Serve The Church
Why should we serve the church? Notice I didn’t ask, “Why should we serve “in” the church. The church is not a building we serve in, a program we begrudgingly work at, or an organization to receive our spare change at the end of the week! The Church is the Bride of Christ – PEOPLE – the same people Jesus died to save and came to serve! Here are 8 reasons we should SERVE THE CHURCH!
- When we meet Jesus we are called to contribute not just consume! To say it another way…From the point of salvation forward we are called to inject the life blood of Jesus into others NOT to become parasites that suck the life out of the Body of Christ!
- Serving is the outward expression of the inward humility we experience when we realize Jesus’ work on the cross! We will NEVER serve others until we are humbled by the sacrifice of the cross. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God! (2 Corinthians 5:21) THAT IS HUMBLING!
- Serving causes us to crucify our selfishness once again! One thing I know for sure is that 10 out of 10 people are selfish (Including me! Well…especially me!). You CAN NOT serve others faithfully and continually be consumed with yourself! Jesus was consumed with pleasing His heavenly Father and sought to do it by serving others…not himself!
- The Church is the Bride of Christ! We can’t say, “I love Jesus” and then say, “I hate His bride.” What if you told me, “Brandon, I really like you…but I hate your wife!” We would probably have a little altercation! Pastor or not! Why? I love my bride! It doesn’t even make sense to think that we could say we love Jesus and then say we don’t love what He loves the most…His Church! The Church is the Bride of Christ. (Ephesians 5:22-27) Serve her with the love and respect she deserves!
- Serving unlocks God’s blessing in our lives! (John 13:12-17) It goes against logic that serving others brings greater enjoyment than serving ourselves but God has never adhered to man’s logic! You want to be blessed? Be a blessing to others!
- Serving is the natural overflow of a heart full of gratitude! If you read the Old Testament you will see that the priest served in the temple daily because of the sin and guilt of the people. We, the New Testament priests, serve not to be forgiven but because we have been forgiven! Not out of guilt but out of gratitude! How could we not want to give others the best opportunity possible to encounter the reality of Jesus!
- Serving shows people the extent of God’s love for us! (John 13 – Just go ahead and read the whole thing!!) The last act of Jesus toward His disciples was to wash their feet! HE SERVED THEM! Nothing goes against the grain of our culture like putting others ahead of ourselves! People will see Jesus in us by the way we love (Not by the things we hate!) and serving is a tangible expression of our verbal confession!
- Jesus said so…PERIOD! (John 13:15,16) Do we really think we are better than Jesus? We need to walk in HIS footsteps, humbling ourselves, picking up our towels, and allowing ourselves to be used by the hands of our Holy God to be His cleansing agent in the world!
The Church is the hope of the world! Let’s be the Church! Let’s love and serve one another! It’s time we give the world an accurate picture of who God is!