5 Characteristics of A Church Pursuing the Lost
We have always said at Connection that our mission is to Connect Unbelievers to God and Believers to each other. A week or so ago I was reading through the gospel of Mark and was really convicted about some characteristics that churches who are truly reaching those far from God share. Today I want to share 5 of those from Mark chapter 2.
- Mark 2:1-5 – A church truly pursuing the lost believes that Jesus will heal what the world deems the sickest of the sick! These men brought a paralytic to Jesus in faith that he could be healed. When I read this my first thought was, “Do I (we) have faith that Jesus can heal the sickest heart?” Do we? Do we believe that God can change anyone’s heart? Making them whole in Himself?
- Mark 2:3-5 – A church truly pursuing the lost will do whatever it takes to get the lost to Jesus! These guys actually dug a hole in someone’s roof! They were willing to do whatever they had to do to get their friend to the One who could heal him. Are we? Are we willing to go to any length to see those around us go from death to life?
- Mark 2:3-5 – A church truly pursuing the lost is more concerned about lost people coming to Jesus than they are how they got there! One of the biggest hindrances to reaching people for Jesus is “doing things the way they’ve always been done” or thinking that God is going to do everything in a way that makes sense! Tearing through a roof wasn’t exactly the way I would choose to go about getting someone inside the house! Nor was it the way everyone else was doing it! If we are going to reach people who haven’t been reached we MUST do things that others aren’t doing!
- Mark 2:6-12 – A church truly pursuing the lost is more concerned with the presence of God than the pleasing the religious! If you do things that others aren’t doing GET READY! Religious people don’t like to rock the boat! When you begin to go contrary to tradition people seem to lose their mind! It’s as if their salvation is connected to their tradition rather than Jesus! Look at it this way…it only took Jesus 2 ½ chapters in the Gospel of Mark to make the religious people want to kill Him!
- Mark 2:13-17 – A church truly pursuing the lost is more concerned with people’s future than their past! You know it had to freak the disciples out a little when Jesus called Matthew to follow Him! They had to be thinking, “Come on Jesus! A tax collector! He’s a thief!” But Jesus is much more concerned with where we are heading than where we have been! Are we? Do we judge people for their past or celebrate the potential of their future in Christ?
Just a few thoughts from Mark. I can’t wait to share what’s on my heart this week as we wrap up the Blessed Or Cursed series! Don’t miss it and bring someone who needs Jesus! Love you guys!!
Heart and Soul!!!