I have ONE quick question for you today. Are you in a Connect Group? If not you REALLY need to be change that! Connect Groups are what we call our small groups that meet to grow deeper in God’s Word, fellowship together, pray for each other, and serve together. The fact is we cannot do life alone! We need people in our life to encourage us by being in the fight with us, not be shouting from the sidelines! We don’t simply need more cheerleaders we need people in the trenches with us helping to carry our burdens and spurring us on in our faith journey! That is what Connect Groups are for!
You can imagine how many excuses we hear for why people won’t join a Connect Group! Here’s a sample of those!
- “I don’t have time.” In reality we are all very busy. That’s one reason Connection tries not to throw dozens of additional “to-dos” at you. The truth is we do make time for things that are important to us. So the question becomes, “Is my spiritual growth really important?” If so, you should join a Connect Group.
- “I don’t need anyone to carry my burdens.” Wow! That sounds heroic! The only problem is that mentality doesn’t work. The same person will say, “I’ve been living like this for years and I’ve made it this far!” That may be true but you and everyone around you are miserable! We can’t live life apart from each other!
- “Jesus is the only burden bearer I need!” That sounds spiritual it’s just not biblical. It is true that only Jesus can take away our burden of sin. However, part of God’s design includes us carrying each other’s burdens! It’s part of His plan and our spiritual growth! (Galatians 6:1-5)
- “Church people are weird!” OK…There IS some truth to that one! There ARE some weird church folks! But normal in our culture SUCKS! I don’t want to be normal! Normal today is broke, divorced, and depressed! Who wants that?!! I choose weird and I’d love for you to come be weird with me!
- “I can’t trust people!” No doubt that we have all been hurt in some way and some have been hurt worse than others by people we thought we could trust and were betrayed by. But here’s my question…Are we going to be a victim for the rest of our life?! Jesus died, was buried, and rose again so that we would have victory, not live as victims! Remember, we have some barely saved people in our church! If someone hurts you will just make them disappear! (Of course I’m kidding…kinda!)
These are just a few of the excuses we hear for not joining a Connect Group! I’m sure there are others out there but the one thing I can tell you is NONE of them are good ones!
Love you guys! Heart and Soul!