10 Things A Christian Cannot do!
Today I want to share 10 things a Christian CANNOT DO! Here they are:
- Grow closer to Jesus and love Him less! 1 Peter 2:1-3. It is impossible to experience Jesus and not want more of Him and it is impossible to see more of who He is and desire Him less. It is when we allow the cares of this world and its deceptive promises lead our wandering hearts away from Him that we find ourselves less affectionate toward Him. We will never spend more time with Him and love Him less!
- Grow closer to Jesus and love others less! John 15:9-17. Jesus clearly tells us to love others as He has loved us! This type of love is impossible without the work of God in our lives. In fact, it is only because of Jesus’ love for us that we can even know what true, unconditional love is. As Jesus conforms our heart to be more like His heart we will love more like Him!
- Grow closer to Jesus and love His church less! Ephesians 5:25-27. The church is often referred to symbolically as the “Bride of Christ”. Jesus died to make His church holy, pure, and presentable to himself. This was an incredible display of sacrificial love. You cannot say you love Jesus and hate what He loves. How insulting to say, “I love you Jesus but I don’t care for your bride that you died to purify and save!” You wouldn’t say that to me about my bride much less to God about His! As we grow closer to Christ we will see His church, with all of its imperfections, as the beautiful bride that she is!
- Grow closer to Jesus and love your spouse less! Ephesians 5:22-33. Jesus’ love for us, His church, is our model for life within the marriage covenant. As we grow closer to Jesus we WILL love our spouse with the same type of love that Jesus has for us. I didn’t say things would be perfect! Marriage takes work! But a marriage made up of two people pursuing Jesus WORKS! In fact, these marriages get better with time, not worse!
- Grow closer to Jesus and have less joy! 1 Peter 1:8. Jesus is our joy! It is in Him that we truly experience life in its fullness. There is no greater joy than knowing you have been forgiven and walking in relationship with your Heavenly Father.
- Grow closer to Jesus and share Him less! 2 Corinthians 5:14-21. The closer we get to Jesus the more we want to share Him. If you won the lottery wouldn’t you tell someone? In Christ we have the greatest treasure. How could we not tell others about what and who we’ve found?
- Grow closer to Jesus and become less like Him! 2 Corinthians 3:17-18. As we grow closer to Jesus we are shaped to be more like Him. This happens through a process called sanctification. It is the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives after salvation that produces in us the righteousness already given to us through faith in Christ! What a privilege!
- Grow closer to Jesus and forgive less! Matthew 6:14-15. Jesus didn’t suggest we forgive He tells us that unless we forgive we cannot be forgiven. For some of you this seems impossible! The Good News is that all things are possible through Christ! The truth is that until you and I are able to offer the same forgiveness to others that we’ve received from Jesus our unforgiveness will be a roadblock to a growing relationship with Christ! Ask Him for strength to forgive and then make the choice to forgive.
- Grow closer to Jesus and give less! 1 Peter 4:10. When we realize all that God has given to us we can’t help but give to others! Yes, this includes our tithes and offerings to the church. But it also includes the giving and sharing of all of our resources with those inside and outside the church! It is the sharing of our time and our treasure. Jesus gave all He had and as we grow closer to Him we will desire to give the same way He did!
- Grow closer to Jesus and pursue impure or improper relationships more! 1 Corinthians 6:18-20. (Couldn’t get that one to fit with “less” but it was too important to leave out!) You CAN NOT pursue impure or improper relationships with others and pursue Jesus at the same time. Before you try to argue just listen…YOU CAN’T! In order to pursue one you have to turn your back on the other. This includes anything from sex outside of marriage to pornography and lust! The argument would be, “But I’m not having a relationship with someone if I’m looking at pornography or lusting after someone.” Sure you are! You’re engaging in a relationship with your idol called sex and self-gratification. How do you overcome these things? I’ll answer that tomorrow in the next blog.
Heart and Soul!